Sunday, February 15, 2009

advice plzzzzzzzzz


I have been going to college and it has been great. I have been majoring in criminal justice. But I have a dilemma. I was online checking jobs for me and it seems it is a very hard career to get into. It has a lot to do with my age (47). Most of the jobs in criminal justice are for ages that are younger, cops, etc. I really want to do forensics and that is an even harder career to get into and a lot more schooling. Now my question is should I change careers or wade it out? I will probably have another 5 years of schooling. I really like animals too and I've always wanted to be a veterinarian assistant when I was younger. Why I didn't do that in the first place, I do not know, but I am asking for advice. Should I change my career now or stay and try to get into a field that I may not be able to. Any advice would be appreciated......




6 comments:

val said...

If it was me, finances would have a major part in my decision. I would probably carry on studying if I could afford it. In this country being a vet's assistant doesn't pay very much. Then there's the heartache of injured animals. I wish I had the emotional strength to do something to help poorly animals, but I'm a wuss.

You follow your heart. There is probably not a wrong decision to be made here.

fuzzytweetie said...

Well put val. What about working for Public Safety or Probation Areas. I used to answer 9-1-1.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, no one can make the decision but you.....Trust your instincts, they're usually right.

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like you are faced with the choice between practicality and what you feel a passion for.

My own mother began a new career as a teacher at age forty seven, and retired when she was 72 years old.

Teaching was her dream, which she had to put on hold while raising two daughters alone after my parent's divorce, and without any child support.

Noth she and my sister graduated the same year from the university with B.A.'s, and she completed her master's degree the same year I graduated from college.

It was hard for her to get a teaching position, again due to her age, but she perservered, and the rest of her career was very satisfying and fulfilling for her.

I personally would go for the dream because precisely it is your dream! If, for some reason, it doesn't pan out, then I've discovered that somewhere God will open a window.

Their are no real failures--only whole-hearted attempts! aka Xeresa.

aprilspring said...

Thank you for all your kind advice. I guess I will be staying with criminal justice. It is my first love.

Val, I love animals but I feel the same way whne it ocmes to taking care of the injured. I would never be able to put an sick animal down and I would probably cry too much.

I have been thinking about probation areas, but I wasn't sure on the age for them either. I have also been thinking about maybe being a baliff for the courts. Well I guess I will see where my life will go....

mary said...

Hubby teaches CJ at a jr soon to be state 3yr college. Believe me age is not as important as you might think. Many areas are facing large retirment losses as all those vietnam vets who went into law enforcement leave. Also you would be suprised at how many 40 and over are changing their lifestyle and moving into criminal justice so I say go for it!